I decided to bang a little blog post together filled with some fun facts you may not know about me and some FAQ’s. These are questions I get asked all the time so I thought why not share them! I hope you enjoy and in the process get to know me a bit better too! Happy reading!
nicknames: Rach, Rachie, Wachelle, Rachie-bop
favourite style of music: jazzzzzz
worst habit: plucking my hair, procrastinating
favourite foods: sushi, peanut butter, vegemite and avocado on toast
favourite drink: coffeeeee! Long Black or Soy Latte
natural hair colour: strawberry blonde
random facts: I’ve never broken a bone, I don’t have any fillings
siblings: one younger brother
favourite TV series: Game of Thrones, Sex and the City, FRIENDS, Arrested Development, Breaking Bad
pet hates: flying, getting hangry, shit-talkers!
favourite fragrance: Insolence by Guerlian
cats or dogs: dogs definitely!! Although I’m slightly allergic to both 🙁
favourite song: Lay it down by The Rubens.. Ahh bliss
- Where are you originally from? I was raised in Mandurah, a small-ish town near Perth in Western Australia and moved to Sydney 8 years ago
- How old were you when you started dancing? I started Ballet lessons at the age of 3, then moved on to some Jazz around 4/5 then tried Ballroom at the age of 6. I’ve been dancing ever since!
- How did you meet Steve? Steve is also from Mandurah and we grew up in the same dance school and lived only 5 minutes down the road from one another! We started dancing together in 2003 and by 2005 had realised there was more to us than just good friends 🙂
- What is your favourite part about Ballroom Dancing? The make-up and the dresses of course! ha ha I kid.. bit of a personal joke that one. I love how I get to push myself to new unexplored boundaries everyday and use it as a way of expressing my feelings and emotions. Also, whilst I hate flying I feel so lucky to be able to travel to different countries and take in new cultures at the same time as learning off the world’s best ballroom teachers.
- Do you ever feel unmotivated/uninspired? If so, what do you do to pull yourself together and get to dance practice? This one made me laugh, ALL THE TIME! I dance basically everyday, whether its teaching or my own practice it still takes its toll on the body and can become super draining. I’m no dance junkie, I’m more of an emotional dancer.. when I feel like dancing I will dance! Some days it is harder than others but the thing with Ballroom is that there is another person involved and we are a team so I have to take that persons wants into account as well as my own. Sometimes Steve and I both don’t feel like dancing but we put on the old dance shoes and hit the d-floor anyway, but if it really isn’t working after 5 minutes we call it and leave. At times its better to go outside and have a coffee and refresh the brain rather than slogging away at something that you will eventually start to resent. It’s no good being a burnt-out resentful dancer!! This is why we try to take every Sunday off, no teaching, no dancing! For those times when I know I should be dancing but am struggling with motivation I try to look toward the next major competition or floor show and think of how I want my performance to be.. that usually kicks my butt into gear 🙂
- Who is your biggest inspiration? This may sound super corny but I have to say Steve. He is the backbone of our dance partnership and pushes and motivates me everyday. He has so much belief in not only me but our partnership that its contagious! Without him there would have been so many times where I might have walked away from the dance scene but he has helped me realise why I chose this life and why, through all the hard times, I need to keep going!
- What would be your dream job? I have to say I am pretty lucky to be able to do what I love and not be tied down to a 9-5 job but if I was involved in a totally different career I would love to work for some sort of Women’s magazine
- What’s your dream holiday? Hmm my dream holiday would involve travelling to any place where its hot and I don’t have 20 suitcases filled with competition stuff. Somewhere I’ve always wanted to go is the Bora Bora. Those villas + beautiful blue water + sunshine = dream come true. Of all the places and times I’ve travelled can you believe I haven’t been somewhere warm for a relaxing vacation! Craziness I know.
- What are 3 key beauty products in your handbag? Lipstick (a lot of them), L’occitane hand moisturiser, Vaseline (for when my lips are dry!)
- What are some of your favourite blogs? Oooh, I love Cupcakes and Cashmere and have been following that blog for many years now, more recently I’ve been loving Pink Peonies, and an all time favourite would have to be Zotheysay by Zoe Foster Blake (Funny comedian man Hamish Blake’s wife for those of you playing out there)
So I hope this answered a few lurking questions you may have had! But if you have moooore questions, then feel free to pop them into the comments below 🙂
Love, Rachelle xx